Thursday, September 2, 2010

"What man's mind can create, man's character can control." -Thomas Edison

Erik's presentation today pretty much set the bar for the rest of us. I give him credit to have the ability to speak throughout a presentation without showing even the slightest bit of nervousness. Chapters 1 and 2 of the book were very informative for they brought back information that we have acquired from our beginning education courses here at the University of Guam. It was a good refresher with the important terms on Special Education. In regards to his question at the beginning of the presentation, I would agree that I fall under the "Interactive Perspective." Although the concept of reading has derived from ages ago, there are so many different aspects of what motivates a child to read. I was also glad to see some samples of previous activities that former students have incorporated into their assessment portfolio. I think it's all a matter of being creative and innovative. Good luck to team MAGEC!


Image courtesy of http://blogs.msdn.com/

4 comments:

  1. Annette,
    Glad to see that you are a proponent of the "Interactive Perspective", and I think in emergent literacy this is essential, few children learn to love reading without the interaction with a parent, and once they have been "romanced" they will then read on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I think we're pretty much on the same page that reading is a social process, that we need to be interested and involved in order to better facilitate our learning. I'm sure you'll do a great job incorporating innovative and creative strategies when you get to work with your student!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I agree with everyone's comments on how to teach reading, I can't help but be reminded that inorder for any learning to take place, prior knowledge needs to be activated or background knowledge built upon, otherwise, the child is set up for failure. Fortunately, for all of us in Team MAGEC we have an abundance of strategies and techniques that we can tap into when the need arises. Thanks to Dr. Rivera for going over some of the literacy assessments that we can also use when working with our students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed Team MAGEC, do think alike, but I like you image better than a light bulb! Interesting! Yes, I am glad for the samples and materials we are able to use...now, if I can only find a student! Lol!

    ReplyDelete