Thursday, September 2, 2010

Erik's Day




I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object be what it may, - light, shade, and perspective will always make it beautiful
--John Constable


Today's session was great! I really liked Erik's presentation on the different approaches, especially the one on the interactive approach. The dynamics of reading and writing combined with all the other variables in creating meaning pretty much sums up my style of teaching. I do have a concern that's been on my mind since I read chap.1. That is, what can we do if after many observations, documentations, assessments and interventions, we have determined that a student needs to be referred for Special Education, but the parent refuses to sign the permission form for testing? Is there any legal recourse that we can take to override the parent's refusal?

3 comments:

  1. Having to secure a student, try all these strategies, and accomplish all this and more by December--it sure could seem like an ugly situation. You're right, Geri. It's all about perspective and the right attitude. we're going to come out of this stronger and better. We're going to come out of this, pperiod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you Geri, we have the same experiences with ESL, although the child is eligible for ESL services, the parent signs the waiver to not have the child serviced. I think it's just the assoication with "ESL" is negative, they don't understand that we're only there to help the child improve on their English speaking, reading and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geri,
    We've had the same problem at our school where parents refuse to sign the waiver. Teachers call every year and suggest, but to no avail. Unfortunately, there are some parents who refuse to believe their child has a disability and could benefit from services. I'm not sure what the Chamorro word for stubborn is, but yeah, that's what I mean.

    ReplyDelete