Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Mar conquers the day!


"The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." -Dr. Seuss, "I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!"


Despite her day off from not feeling well, Mar conquered the day by doing a great job on her presentation. Hope you feel better! Many interesting topics from the chapters. As we have gone through several months of the school year already, I know that many of us have applied some of these techniques in our teaching strategies. Some of the techniques mentioned are a glimpse of what we have learned in ED645. These approaches include the shared reading and echo reading. When teaching struggling readers how to read we often start with decoding. However, what if the student does not make progress? It is important to use what Timothy Rasinski calls "MAP." Modeling, Assisted Reading, and Practice. When students do repeated readings and continue to practice it helps to develop fluency. When students are fluent in reading, they gain comprehension which will result in self-confidence. Our students need to perceive reading not simply as a task, but for enjoyment and great interest!

4 comments:

  1. Very nice quote, Annette! Like I told Mar, it's a good one to get the point across to students and also introduce them to the genius that is Dr. Suess. I also particularly like the point that you made that reading shouldn't be a task for our students and that we should help foster enjoyment and sincere appreciation of it. Let's all get or stay healthy and see each other next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annette,
    I like the repeated reading. I can remember reading many books over and over and over again! I don't do it anymore because I have too many books on my list. I also read the same thing over and over at the dinner table if I'm not eating with someone else, I have many magazines or articles for my companion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annette, how right you are about reading not just
    for task, but for enjoyment and pleasure. That's why we should have different literary genres in our classrooms for the students to choose from. By the way, I like the fact that you do a Word Wall in your classroom. Although we have a specific set of vocabulary for Reading, I'm going to implement this strategy for the content areas. Sounds like a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annette,
    Great minds think alike!! what a coincidence, like I told Chrisitine when I saw her awesome image, we're all on the same page! Looks likes you and I are facing challenges with our students, I was just asking Geri to share her tips with classroom management. I have a group of high-risk, SPED-Lep students this year, all who are 2 to 3 grade levels below their reading levels, and keeping them on task is an everyday challenge! Hang in there, we both wil get through it. Lucky for us we're learning strategies...and our experiences in this class will help us even more! Take Care.

    ReplyDelete