Thursday, September 30, 2010

"Magecal" Instruction Rocks!

image: http: www.graphicshunt.com/


"Children are the world's most valuable resource and its best hope for the future"


(John Fitzgerald Kennedy)



Great job on your presentation, Mar! I was really enlightened by the various strategies to teach students based on their assessments and needs. What struck me as awesome was the part that mentioned that you should give instruction based on the needs of the student, and not what the teacher wants. Unfortunately, all too often, during my years of teaching, I had encountered situations where this was the case, not realizing that I was doing more harm than good. Obviously, as the years went by, I quickly became the student, myself, and learned from my mistakes. We as educators need to be in tune with our students, and learn all that we can about them so that we could help them become the students that they should be.


















4 comments:

  1. Geri,
    I can say the same for myself. I think with more years of experience, I have become adjusted to the needs of the children and not necessarily the expectations of myself. Sorry I missed out on the dinner. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geri,
    I agree, the reason I am a teacher is so I can learn. Teaching in Guam, I have learned much about Chamorro, Filipino, Chinese, and other Asian cultures from my students. Additionally, though I'm a younger teacher, the students have taught me much about pop culture as well, so of course I reference Justin Bieber as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great point, Geri (and Mar)! We have to meet the students where they are and help lead them from there. The quote is a good one too. We need to make sure we're doing our best to help the future through all we do with our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geri,
    your so passionate about teaching even after all these years...your such an inspiration! The truth is I've had more "difficult" days than better. I've often wonder If I am even capable to meet the challenges our students are facing today! Luckily we young teachers have role-models like you...maybe someday you can share your tips on classroom management...my Principal mentioned that after her observation of my class of high risk, SPED-LEP students...sigh!! Thanks for your guidance and support!!

    ReplyDelete