Thursday, October 21, 2010

"They may forget what you said but they will never forget how you made them feel."-Carol Buchner


Today's session was a productive one. I was able to administer the oral reading and silent reading of the narratives from the QRI-4. I am thankful that my student is patient and cooperative. As I was listening to her read, I could not help but think of the next session when I will be able to do reading strategies with her. With continuous practice, assessment, and incorporating strategies, she will no longer be intimated or shy when reading like how she was in the class I previously had her in. I just want her to gain confidence in her reading abilities so that she will perceive reading as something enjoyable and not something she struggles in. We're halfway through this course and next thing you know we can reflect back on our case study. Once again, I am grateful to be walking through this course with team MAGEC!


"Ideal teachers are those who use themselves as bridges over which they invite their students to cross, then having facilitated their crossing, joyfully collapse, encouraging them to create bridges over their own." -Nikos Kazantzakis


4 comments:

  1. Annette,
    too funny! did you see the picture I posted? great minds think alike! session #2 and the passion is there, even with the struggles we face with our students. We pust on, sharing and discussing our experiences. I can't wait for session #3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annette,
    I'm so happy for you that your sessions seem to be going along just fine. In time, I hope to be there also with my student. Although I have my work cut out for me, I know that I can do something for him, that he'll come out of this Reading Clinic reading much better. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's all for the good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you just use two quotes? Overachiever. :) Anyway, I like how you are trying to make reading enjoyable for her, if you do that you will not have to work as hard, she'll do most of the work. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helping our students see the joy in reading (and learning) is half the battle. Like your quote pointed out, they'll seek and create their own bridges once we start them on the right track. I'm so glad that things are going well for you and your student. Reading will open up so many doors for her!

    ReplyDelete