Thursday, October 28, 2010

"There's no stopping yet"


"The road of life twists and turns and no two directions are ever the same. Yet our lessons come from the journey, not the destination."-Don Williams, Jr.


Today was a productive day. Although I completed an hour with my student, I actually wanted to continue a bit longer. There are only two sessions left with my student and I might have to extend and do more assessments to finalize my report. I had my student read the story on "Seasons" and I thought for a second if she was even familiar with the four seasons. After completing that assessment, she had placed in the frustration level. I also tried the written retelling. There were several times when she had difficulty spelling the words and kept trying to sound it out while writing it down. When she was done, I had to ask her to read it to me in order to translate some of the words she spelled. I had learned about the stages of spelling in one of my courses. I have to keep in mind that this course is based on assessment and not try to apply the strategies. Just a couple more months until next semester and then I can help her with her reading.

3 comments:

  1. How alike our session went. I also had my student read the narrative, "The Lucky Cricket" for oral and written retelling. He also placed on the frustrational level. In addition he read silently an expository passage, but didn't do very well on that, either. I know that I'm going to have to move down a level in our next session. There's not enough time to complete my assessments in the Reading Clinic. I'll have to do some at my jobsite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I think we're all finding that we need to do more with our students on our own time. And it's also great that we're ready, willing, and able to put in the extra hour or two. We must really want to help these students! Kudos to Team MAGEC. We'll get to the strategies soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annette,
    I agree. Patience is the key here. I think for right now we can focus on pinpointing the level by using our different assessments. We can encourage more literacy activities at home, but we'll have two hours each session next semester to rock and roll.

    ReplyDelete