Thursday, October 21, 2010

The best laid plans...

It turns out I might have been a bit overambitious when I planned to have my student read a narrative and an expository passage and do a retelling for each and start on a language experience dictation.  I didn't anticipate how long it would take him to work through the questions.  As a reader, he read 85 wpm, making 4 miscues.  He didn't seem to struggle with the "Pele" passage, and followed all the punctuation marks and had most of the characteristics of a fluent reader.  So while it seems he was able to read fluently enough, perhaps his comprehension was hampered by the language barrier.  In the sessions to come, I hope I can better assess whether AR's performance issues due to a reading difficulty (and if so, which specifically) or a lack of expressive vocabulary.  He may be able to understand the words in English, but saying or writing the information is a different story.  I hope to get a better picture of AR during the next sessions.

Even though I wasn't able to get through all that I had planned, I was still able to accomplish some things.  I know I have to regroup and be flexible--but as the text pointed out in one of the chapters, the best teachers are always ready on their toes.  I'll consider it practice and roll with it.  It's as George Patton said, "A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow."  (http://quotationsbook.com/quote/30513/)  Let's work with what we have today and try not to end up with a case of--as my dad likes to insert even when it doesn't necessarily make sense)--"too late the hero."

(taken from https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEheG1VIrCyNWcCmNEQI0DCXH9m_5HTD5hO0hQbqOKMuPKqMr7UaqVm-o-Xl473pAwVaprs005uz0ZpYFz9T2hw4t0nVpbb1eQR0Y0KUhMWAAp42nWex4SGsC_tUgXPEy3qa-ZsaWhlF-6c/s320/pinky_brain.jpg)

Go team, MAGEC!  Together we can take over the world--if we take a lesson from Pinky and the Brain and not get distracted.

4 comments:

  1. Wow,
    I'm glad you posted Pinky and the Brain. I loved the Animaniacs show. Anyway, I think it's great that you had much planned for your session, I often questions whether there is such a thing as over preparation. Anyway, keep on assessing, triangulate, and you'll pinpoint AR's abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, thank you for the snacks for our students. My student enjoyed eating it. How thoughtful of you again. I also wanted to get as many assessments done for today. However, I need to realize that I can't overwhelm my student so quickly. Like the saying, "Take one day at a time."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinky and the Brain! loved those characters, we even enjoy the same cartoons too funny! Again thank you for being so thoughtful, the snacks were motivation enough for my student to "read" his book, even though he really wasn't! Slowly but surely we are laying the foundation for our struggling readers to one become better readers. It really helps to discuss and share at the end of each session and to get feedback from others. I'm so glad we have a great team!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talk about "food" for thought! It couldn't have been more appropriate for the "brainiacs". So now, let's start feeding them with the other kind of "food"...words!

    You're doing just fine, Chris. Honestly, I can't seem to think of anyone more prepared than you, when it comes to setting out what you have to do.

    ReplyDelete