Thursday, August 19, 2010

Together--toward sucess


Hearing about this course from other Language and Literacy students and from going over the syllabus, I can already see that it's going to be a long and involved semester. But Gandhi expresses gracefully what the psychologists tell us about self-fulfilling prophecies: "Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning."

We'll gain nothing by dwelling on the negative, so let's just focus on what we can do--if not alone, then together. Take a little bit at a time, and we'll work through it. This is probably not the hardest thing that we've come across, but if it is, well, we'll be that much more able to get through the other tough things in life.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Christine for your positive attitude and your words of encouragement! I know it will be tough, but together we could help each other get through the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine,
    You have always been such a patient and kind-hearted person. You are definitely a team player! As a team we will succeed together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fortune cookies. As a kid, I would simply buy the boxes of them, read the fortunes, and tape them to my dresser drawers. I wonder of any of them had 463 as lucky numbers...anyway, the bell rang. Time to teach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris,
    I love the quote from Ghandi! I couldn't have said it any better. I can really relate to that saying, especially since I've come back to school at such a later age. My friends ask me why I would want to do such a thing since I'll be retiring soon, and my response is, "Why not?"

    ReplyDelete