Thursday, August 26, 2010

Assessment and Activities


"Goals are the fuel in the furnace of Success" (Brian Tracy, Eat That Frog)




This quote pretty much sums up what I will be aiming to achieve with my selected student as I begin the process of assessing and eventually conducting activities to improve his literacy skills. I especially like using the Graffiti Board and the Picture Reflection activities as I've used them before in my classroom , and they seem to produce successful results because the students put their own personal touches to them. Anything that the students can relate to has a positive effect on them.




As for my personal goal, I hope to be able to come out of taking this course with a much better understanding and tolerance for students with learning difficulties. This is one area of my teaching that I certainly can improve on.




I really enjoyed the Elluminate session with the class and look forward to it on Sept. 9th.

4 comments:

  1. I agree Geri. The student and the tutor should definitely set some goals for the end end of the semester. Reasonable and reachable, but with expectations of success. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture! We're going to get there, to that point where we can see that we've made a positive impact on our mentee's life. Yup, finding and maximizing the things that the students can relate to is the key to reaching them. Your empathy and sincere desire to improve and help our students will translate into success for you and everyone involved. I'm glad to be learning with you, Geri!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share the same sentiments with Christine...(great minds think alike!!) just some light humor! It's really great to see you and have you in this class, our "Schemata" will help us survive ED643, and prepare us for ED644! Let's Do it;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geri,
    Definitely glad to see you today. Bless your heart for pushing yourself today despite your pain. My literature group last year enjoyed the graffiti board. I was glad to have the opportunity to incorporate it in my class. I agree, anything that can improve my teaching methods is worth learning.

    ReplyDelete